Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Last Lecture......


I have been following Prof. Randy Pausch of the Computer Science in CMU. He was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and in spite of having the best medical care in the world he is slowly slipping into a void from where there is no turning back. CMU has a lecture series called "The last Lecture" where a renowned personality is asked to give a lecture imagining that this would be his/her last lecture in this life !!!!!!

The speech by Prof. Pausch shows what a person is capable of. An excerpt from his speech(verbatim).


"And the other thing is I am in phenomenally good
health right now. I mean it’s the greatest thing of cognitive dissonance you will ever see is the fact
that I am in really good shape. In fact, I am in better shape than most of you. [Randy gets on the
ground and starts doing pushups] [Applause] So anybody who wants to cry or pity me can down and
do a few of those, and then you may pity me. [laughter]
All right, so what we’re not talking about today, we are not talking about cancer, because I spent a
lot of time talking about that and I’m really not interested. If you have any herbal supplements or
remedies, please stay away from me. [laughter]"


His speech is being published in the form a book called "The Last Lecture" by to be released on April 8.

There are many other nuggets throughout.The complete text of the speech is present in youtube at : -
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5700431505846055184

No comments: